Merck Associate Director, Strategic Alliances in Upper Gwynedd, Pennsylvania
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Under the broad direction of the Director, Strategic Alliance, responsible and accountable for ensuring overall successful relationship and contractual management of collaborations resulting from Merck Research Laboratories Business Development & Licensing (MRL BD&L) transactions. Responsibility includes engaging internal and partner leaders at all levels to maximally leverage assigned collaborations for both Merck and its partners. The goal is to enable alliances to deliver results consistent with strategic goals and to enhance Merck’s relationships to secure Merck's reputation as a Partner of Choice.
• Take responsibility for organization of timely and seamless kick-off meeting planning and execution between Merck and its partners to ensure clarity on the agreement and communication mechanisms between the companies.
• Identify and align key stakeholders across internal and partner functions. Ensure alliance governance is established and functions efficiently, consistent with agreement intent; ensure process is in place to facilitate timely, joint decision-making around combination studies, including extension into registrational trials or termination of combination study evaluation.
• Proactively identify and resolve conflicts as needed, or raise conflicts and dispute to Director, Strategic Alliance, appropriate management or committees for timely resolution.
• Working closely with lead scientists of assigned alliances, facilitate, manage and oversee the scientific and operational relationship between Merck and assigned alliance partners to ensure a productive working environment.
• Provide to each alliance partner an open and continuous channel of communication to ensure partner perspectives are heard and well represented internally.
• Interface strongly with MRL BD&L and Corporate Licensing Legal groups to clarify contractual aspects of collaboration agreements with intent of providing guidance internally to team, committee members and senior management to enhance the value of alliances, ensure appropriate boundaries are set and guide decision-making.
• Support evolution of alliances through their life cycles, including negotiation/drafting of contractual amendments, through management of any necessary agreement terminations.
• Work closely with Finance, Investor Relations, Public Affairs and partners to manage appropriate financial obligations / disclosures material to Merck and/or its partners.
• Contribute to goal of establishing MRL Alliance Management as a learning organization by sharing lessons learned and best practices in alliance management within and across divisional alliance management areas.
• Participate in relevant partnering and/or Alliance Management conferences to represent Merck Alliance Management, contribute to securing Merck’s reputation as a Partner of Choice and identify external best practices for internalization.
• Provide input and contribute to the development of future external partnerships.
Education Minimum Requirement: Bachelor’s degree required
Required Experience and Skills:
• Minimum of 3 years in the alliance management space and/or in working with external collaborators in relevant capacity
• Broad understanding of global pharmaceutical and biotech industries with a solid understanding of drug discovery and development processes..
• Strong communication skills, both oral and written; demonstrated ability to speak up appropriately and raise issues to teams and management as necessary
• Strong collaboration and interpersonal skills; ability to establish good working relationships with team members as well as management
• Demonstrated leadership, influence skills, creativity, problem solving and ability to manage complexity in addressing issues
Preferred Experience and Skills:
• Advanced degree (MBA, MS, MD, PhD or equivalent) with a minimum of 5 years in biotech/pharmaceutical
• Preferable to have established network in biotech / large pharma
• A minimum of 3 years in an engagement and/or alliance manager role or equivalent relationship management role
• Experience in understanding and interpretation of contractual language
• Experience in working in diagnostic collaborations
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC Poster at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeocselfprint_poster.pdf
EEOC GINA Supplement at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeocginasupplement.pdf
OFCCP EEO Supplement at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCPEEOSupplementFinalJRFQA508c.pdf
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of it’s manifestations.
Job Strategic Alliances
Other Locations: NA-US-NJ-Rahway
Title: Associate Director, Strategic Alliances
Primary Location: NA-US-PA-Upper Gwynedd
Requisition ID: STR000560
- Merck Jobs