Merck Vaccines Regional Medical Scientific Director (RMSD) - Northeast in Upper Gwynedd, Pennsylvania
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
The Regional Medical Scientific Director is a credentialed (i.e., MD, PhD, or PharmD) therapeutic and disease area expert who engages in both scientific exchange and research support, when requested, with external scientific leaders and investigators in the medical and scientific community. RMSDs provide Scientific Leaders (SLs) balanced, factual, scientific information about non-product areas of interest to Merck and responds to scientific questions from SLs, including questions about Merck products and Merck data. RMSDs are responsible for facilitating and developing peer-level relationships with scientific leaders in the external medical/scientific community including those investigators who have potential interest in participating in Merck research studies. RMSDs provide support for data generation activities including Merck sponsored trials and Merck Independent Investigator Study Programs as prioritized and requested by MRL leadership.
• Identify, establish and manage collaborative professional relationships with national, regional and clinical practice scientific leaders (SLs) and investigators to identify and address scientific needs and to ensure access to medical and scientific information on areas of therapeutic interest and Merck data or products
• Conduct peer-level scientific discussions and maintain a reliable presence to ensure SLs have a MRL/ Medical Affairs contact within Merck
• Engage in proactive non-product discussions regarding scientific issues (e.g., disease states, diagnosis, epidemiology, unmet medical need, and population health, etc) that are intended to enhance scientific discussions or inform/guide MRL/GMA and HH strategy or MRL research programs
• Facilitate appropriate scientific exchange of information with SLs, including integration of scientific knowledge with actionable insights to inform MRL and HH strategies
• Communicate external stakeholder opinions, insights and feedback on new data, clinical trends and the evolving vaccine landscape to Medical Affairs HQ teams to enhance scientific understanding and inform internal MRL strategies
• Represent MRL at scientific meetings and congresses and contribute to MRL debriefs, insight discussions and post-congress reports
• Develop and execute territory plans in alignment with global vaccines strategy
• Support data generation activities when requested by MRL leadership, including the Merck Investigator Study Program (MISP), by acting as the primary liaison to investigators interested in developing and performing investigator-initiated research
• When requested by MRL leadership, work to identify potential investigators for consideration of participation in phase II-IV clinical development programs and provide scientific support for MRL sponsored trials as needed
• Provide in-depth scientific support to Health Systems Teams within USMA
• Demonstrate and maintain in-depth knowledge of the assigned disease and therapeutic area(s) through educational efforts, including attendance at relevant conferences, scientific workshops and review of key journals
• Fully comply with all company policies and applicable laws, regulations, and ethical standards
Education Minimum Requirement:
• An advanced degree (M.D., Ph.D. or Pharm.D.), that is relevant to the requirements of the position.
Experience- Minimum Requirements:
• A minimum of 3 years prior experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical or healthcare environment and;
• A minimum of 3 years of clinical and/or research experience and demonstrated scientific excellence (beyond that obtained in the terminal degree program) in vaccines
or related therapeutic area, e.g. infectious diseases, immunology, preventative medicine
• Excellent interpersonal, communication, networking and presentation skills
• Ability to travel up to 50% of the time overnights and reside in the Northeast region
• Deep therapeutic competency; abreast of trends and new information in vaccines
• Ability to network and partner with important external customers, including scientific leaders, investigators, clinical practice leaders and academic affiliated institutions, including treatment guideline members (as permitted)
• The ability to consolidate and understand complex data sets, plan and/or execute data analyses, summarize or synthesize data and objectively interpret results
• Knowledge of national and society treatment guidelines, clinical research processes, FDA regulations, and OIG, HIPAA and other ethical guidelines, laws, and regulations relevant to the pharmaceutical industry and its external stakeholder environment
• Must be able to organize, prioritize, and work effectively in a constantly changing environment
• Recognition for scientific excellence in vaccines as demonstrated by sustained contributions to vaccines via strong clinical, academic and/or translational/basic science research experience in vaccines. Experience in both clinical vaccinology and owner of independent research and publication in vaccines is highly desirable (i.e., experience in late stage clinical research as an investigator or key study personnel conducting outcomes research, company sponsored trials, or investigator-initiated trials).
• 5 years of prior pharmaceutical industry experience (MSL or other clinical, medical or research related position)
• Prior working experience within the Northeast Region and established relationships with vaccine stakeholders
• Demonstrable effective leadership skills (by example and through accomplishments), and the ability to step forward to handle challenges within scope of authority
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
• Headquarters located in Upper Gwynedd, PA; however, the position will work remotely; candidate should reside within the Northeast Region.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC Poster at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeocselfprint_poster.pdf
EEOC GINA Supplement at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeocginasupplement.pdf
OFCCP EEO Supplement at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCPEEOSupplementFinalJRFQA508c.pdf
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of it’s manifestations.
Job Medical Affairs Generic - Field Based
Title: Vaccines Regional Medical Scientific Director (RMSD) - Northeast
Primary Location: NA-US-PA-Upper Gwynedd
Requisition ID: MED004550
- Merck Jobs