Waste Management Safety Manager, Civil Construction in United States
Title: Safety Manager, Civil Construction
Location: United States
Job Number: 18005999
SafetyManager Job Description
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is theleading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America.Headquartered in Houston, Texas, the company operates waste services facilitiesthroughout the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico.
Waste Management expertly operates 390 collectionoperations, 310 transfer stations, 267 landfill disposal sites, 17 waste-to-energyplants, 120 recycling facilities, 36 organic processing facilities and 137landfill-gas-to-energy projects. The company proudly offers its full range ofenvironmental services to nearly 21 million residential, commercial, industrialand municipal customers.
Though large in scale, Waste Management tailors itsservices to each customer group and to local communities to ensure timely,effective response to customer needs. Waste Management is strongly committed tothe safe and responsible management of waste, working diligently to ensureregulatory compliance and protection of human health and the environment.
This position will coordinate and administer the overallproject safety program for a specific work site. The Safety Manager worksclosely with Project Team and coordinates with the Corporate Safety Director toensure a safe work environment that is consistent with the company’s SafetyCulture.
What Experience we are looking for:
- Civil construction background with experience in thefollowing;
- Working with coal combustion residuals (CCR’s)
- Dredging, slope work, saturated materials
- Heavy equipment operation, equipment setbacks and bestpractices
- Prior project experience in the following;
- Large-scale remedial activity
- Landfill construction, operation and closure
- Dewatering of ash
- Impoundment closures
- Fall Protection
Desired Certification and Training
- OSHA 30-Hour Training for the Construction Industry
- OSHA 510 or OSHA 500
- HAZWOPER cert
- MSHA training
- Qualified Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer
Es sential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains open and proactive communications with theproject team, field staff, and others in all areas pertaining to safety. Servesin a safety leadership capacity by providing timely guidance and directionwhere appropriate.
- Develops safety training plans and facilitates safetytraining.
- Ability to plan, design, execute, and facilitate ongoingproactive communication programs, including (but not limited to) tool box talksand lunch-n-learns.
- Able to develop site specific safety plans of work withproject management teams.
- Proficient in routinely conducting on-site field safetyaudits and review of individual safe work practices. Skilled at hazardrecognition, identifying potential problems, and practiced at professionalintervention. Able to disseminate information and recommend improvements.
- Ensure all subcontractors are in complete compliance withsafety codes, regulations, and contracts.
- Drafts and recommends safety policy and procedures asappropriate.
- Conducting incident and accident investigations
- Natural ability to calmly react to and handle unplannedcircumstances thoughtfully and to resolution while communicating to others asmay be appropriate for each situation.
- Maintains thorough knowledge of OSHA safety regulations andrequirements. Proactively stays abreast of changing and/or evolving safetymatters, trends and legislation.
- Perform Safety Inspections
- Conducting incident and accident investigations
- Safety Orientations
- Daily Documented Inspections
- Daily Safety Audits
- Field Staff Management
- Hazard Assessments
- Coordinate and lead Site Safety Team activities
Percentage of Time Spent:
- Safety Inspections / Field Observation – 60%
- Training / Coaching / Mentoring – 20%
- Client/Customer Meetings – 10%
- Administrative 10%
Leadership & Communication Skills
- Effectively manages problem prevention strategies to limitreactionary practices
- Ability to effectively influence an organization at alllevels to achieve safety performance standards developed by the Company
- Ensures project safety goals and expectations arerealistic, achievable, and revisited/revised at appropriate times during thelife of the project
- Clearly defines goals, understands audiences, managesproductive meetings, and manages and builds team morale
- Ability to address an audience of various sizes andeffectively communicate his/her message and ideas
- Ability to write clear and detailed concise thoughts in aprofessional manner
- Education: Bachelor's Degree (accredited), or equivalentprevious and seven year’s managerial experience in Construction Operations,Environmental Remediation and/or Safety.
- Experience: Seven years of previous managerial experiencein Operations and/or Safety (in addition to education requirement).
- Strong knowledge in Safety Rules & Regulationsincluding DOT and OSHA
- Strong communication and leadership skills,
- Public speaking experience
The majority of work iscompleted on job sites in an office trailer or in an existing structure. Due todaily condition changes on construction projects, when employees are outside ofthe office trailer or structure, they must wear appropriate personal protectiveequipment as required by the company's safety policies and as required forweather conditions.
The project team and/or team member may need to move toother projected work geographic locations, if necessary.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives acompetitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, LifeInsurance and Short-Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Companymatch on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays,and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have beenlooking for, please click "Apply.”
Job Field: Safety