Combined Insurance Underwriter - Surety in United States
Chubb is the world’s largest publicly traded property and casualty insurer. With operations in 54 countries, Chubb provides commercial and personal property and casualty insurance, personal accident and supplemental health insurance, reinsurance and life insurance to a diverse group of clients. The company is distinguished by its extensive product and service offerings, broad distribution capabilities, exceptional financial strength, underwriting excellence, superior claims handling expertise and local operations globally.
Chubb’s San Francisco office currently has a vacancy for an Underwriter to join the Surety team.
The Underwriter’s primary responsibility is to underwrite individual risks through a demonstration of the following skills and abilities:
- Fundamentals of coverage, terms and conditions. Ability to offer coverage, terms and conditions which generate a profit for the Company while meeting the needs of the customer.
- Risk Assessment. Ability to identify risk exposures, special or common hazards, and appropriate controls. Ability to select risk based on exposure and risk analysis. Ability to analyze claims and quantify losses.
- Financial proficiency. Understanding of financial statements and ratios used in risk analysis. Understanding of insurance financial fundamentals; impact of underwriting decisions on company assets. Ability to understand credit risk.
- Actuarial fundamentals. Ability to understand loss trends, loss triangles, and ratemaking. Ability to quantify risk based on experience history and forecasting methods.
- Marketing and Communications. Ability to sell and negotiate to achieve bottom line profitability for the Company. Ability to make presentations and communicate articulately. Ability to base communications on strategic thinking. Ability to manage producer strategy.
Systems and programs. Ability to use systems and software programs needed to conduct daily business.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Duties may include but are not limited to:
Solicits new and renewal submissions from brokers
- Determines terms and conditions and complex rating plans
- Binds coverage
- Documents the underwriting files
Handles more complex files and portfolios within underwriting authority
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS *
3-5 years underwriting experience
Knowledge of insurance industry
- Knowledge of underwriting concepts, practices, and procedures
- Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Internet usage
- Oral and written communication skills
- Negotiation skills
Chubb offers a competitive compensation package and comprehensive benefits package including life, health and dental, vision, a generous retirement savings plan, disability coverage, stock purchase plan, flexible spending accounts, tuition reimbursement, and business casual dress. At Chubb, we are committed to equal employment opportunity and compliance with all laws and regulations pertaining to it. Our policy is to provide employment, training, compensation, promotion, and other conditions or opportunities of employment, without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, national origin, disability, genetic information, veteran or marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For additional information about Chubb or its services, please visit our website at http://www.new.chubb.com .
/ In order to be considered an applicant for employment with Chubb, all applicants must go to // Chubb’s Careers / / website / / to apply for the position(s) of interest and complete an online application. If you do not complete the online application, you will not be considered an applicant in accordance with Chubb’s policy. /
Title: Underwriter - Surety
Requisition ID: 317185