American Water Utility Person in Warsaw, Virginia
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Camden, NJ, the company employs over 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 46 states. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
Performs a variety of tasks in supervising and participating in the locating, laying, repairing, and extending underground water mains and distribution pipes. Also, involved in treatment and maintenance on the production side of the water utility facilities. May perform duties of the Field Service Representative.
• Must have a strong safety awareness when working in the field. Sets up safety barricades and wears the proper safety PPE.
• Manually digs valve boxes, curb boxes, and meter boxes, using shovel and digging bar.
• Must be able to lift and carry 50 lbs.
• May serve in the role as a Field Service Representative.
• Replaces sections of water main when needed. Also, installs repair clamps on pressurized water mains and service lines when needed. Operates valves. Investigates complaints and determines corrective action per company procedure.
• Operates pneumatic and/or hydraulic boring equipment. Completes all necessary forms, sketches, field notes, and uses maps and records. Drives vehicles and/or trucks in performance of general job.
• Works well with assigned personnel in activities. Performs any other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Will work over-time when needed, as well as weekends and holidays on occasion.
• Must be willing to respond to emergency callouts as needed.
• Will be required to join an On-Call rotation within 6 months of employment.
• Mechanical ability sufficient to understand the operation of pumps, valves, motors and other mechanical equipment related to operations and maintenance.
• Working knowledge of production and distribution systems.
• Must possess basic computer application skills. Must have the ability to use Smartphone tablets along with other similar devices.
• GED/High School graduate with vocational preparation includes an occupationally significant combination of vocational education, apprentice training, on-the-job training, and/or in-plant training or essential experience in less responsible jobs which lead to the higher job or serving in other jobs.
Valid Drivers license, CDL A preferred or able to obtain within 1 year of employment
Valid Class 6 Virginia Waterworks Operator’s License preferred or ability to earn the license within 2 years of employment.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing*™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants* based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.