Waste Management Transportation Manager in WAYNESBURG, Ohio
Title: Transportation Manager
Location: United States-Ohio-Waynesburg
Job Number: 18005842
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
We are looking for aleader who knows how to engage and motivate your team to drive the Company’sgoals. This leader will join a team of hard-driving professionalsthat makes Waste Management #1 in the industry.
Hopefully you are not just a behind-the-deskperson. In this position, you will be in the office for about 20% of thetime, 60% in the field with the drivers and customers, and 20% in the yardmanaging the pre and post trip process.
I. Job Summary
As a member of our team,you will manage drivers and will be responsible for all aspects of your line ofbusiness. Some of your responsibilities include hiring, coaching and trainingyour drivers, keeping the culture of Safety, working with our Dispatch andCustomer Service teams in Michigan for routing and ensuring your customers arereceiving a high level of service, managing to the metrics, and workingtogether with with your team which includes a Sr.District Manager, RouteManagers, Operations Specialist and the Fleet Manager to make the your Districta successful part of Waste Management.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Organizes and schedules all necessary resources required to accomplish activities. Coordinates daily operational needs with Maintenance team.
- Plans, distributes, monitors, and follows-up daily route assignments to ensure customers are serviced per company standards and agreements.
- Manages the end-of-day check-in process, capturing and communicating key service, safety, and equipment issues.
- Monitors driver and laborer time and attendance, minimizing overtime and ensuring that drivers do not exceed limits established by regulatory agencies (e.g., 60 hour rule).
- Reviews weekly demand / volume for routes, determines potential gains from re-routing, and recommends re-routes to the routing specialist.
- Sets and monitors productivity, service, and safety targets for each route and driver.
- Assists with data collection and reporting required for incentive pay programs.
- Works with functional groups to resolve employee relations and labor relations issues.
- Acquires and coordinates temporary workers assigned to assist drivers on routes.
- Conducts Root Cause Investigations for all injuries and incidents, ensuring consistent discipline and retraining.
- Visits customers and customer sites to evaluate and resolve safety issues, seeking service alternatives where appropriate.
- Establishes and maintains a clean, safe work environment in compliance with Company/Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards.
- Documents problem fixes and provides instructions to dispatch/service should problems recur.
- Communicates and follows-up on sales opportunities, problems at customer site, DVIR repairs, container swaps, and safety issues reported by drivers.
- Notifies customer service of delivery days for specific areas.
- Ensures set-up errors and missed pickups are reported and resolved.
- Documents and maintains records required by regulatory agencies such as the Department of Transportation.
- Reviews and audits documentation related to route operations on a daily basis (e.g., DVIRs, driver time and attendance, open tickets), following-up where appropriate.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job has supervisory responsibilities for Drivers assigned to the position. This includes responsibility for employee performance reviews and feedback, scheduling time off, employee grievances or complaints, pay changes and job responsibilities.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Required: Associate's Degree (accredited) or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and 2 years of relevant work experience.
- Education Preferred: Bachelor's degree in Transportation, Logistics, Operations, Business Management.
- Experience: No experience required (in addition to education requirement).
- Experience Preferred: One or more years of transportation experience involving managing and successfully coaching CDL drivers.
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Valid driver's license and good driving record.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Preferred
- Intermediate level oftechnical expertise in using computer programs, and creating and analyzingreports.
- Strong coaching skills
- Ability to engagedrivers and develop talent
- Proven ability to createcollaborative relationships with all involved departments
- Directmanagement/supervision of drivers
- Strong communicationskills and strong listening skills.
- Good analytical skillsand previous experience managing to metrics.
- Proven ability to driveresults
- Safety focused
- Working knowledge of DOTrules and regulations
- Ability and willingnessto work 10 to 12 hours a day - starting as early as 3:30am to 6:30am
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Normal setting for this job is:office setting and/or landfill/outdoor.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like theopportunity that you have been looking for, please click"Apply.” Text “WASTE” to 51893 to join our team (or learn more)
Overtime Status: Exempt
Job Field: Operations