Farmers Insurance Business Intelligence / Data Warehouse Data Analyst I in Woodland Hills, California
We are Farmers!
Join a team of diverse professionals at Farmers to acquire skills on the job and apply your learned knowledge to future roles at Farmers. Farmers Insurance also offers extensive training opportunities through the award winning University of Farmers named by Training magazine amongst top 10 corporate training units in the world.
Want to learn more about our culture & opportunities? Check outfarmers.com/careersand be sure to follow us onInstagramandLinkedIn!*Job Summary*
Provide data in response to one-time or recurring requests for reports or analysis. Understand customer objectives and processes; effectively communicate system capabilities and limitations; and deliver available data. Analyze data quality and take corrective action. Analyze impact of system changes to data/reporting infrastructure (support testing and implementation activities).
Essential Job Functions
Extract and manipulate data to solve business problems: Respond to new requests for reports/data: understand customer objectives and processes; review and refine requirements; and communicate estimated hours and timeline to complete; Extract data using Cognos ReportNet, OBIEE Answers, or similar business query interfaces; Extract data directly from relational databases (e.g. Oracle, SQL Server), data warehouses, or other data stores using SQL; Format data for business use in Excel, Access, or similar format; Produce reports manually and through automated scripting; create and maintain scripts and macros used to automate reports; and Support application testing for enhancements or system upgrades; identify and communicate data quality issues or data differences. Communicate effectively: Be concise and precise in written communication; Incorporate best practices in developing intuitive reports to share with a broad audience; and Describe and document unique aspects or limitations of data to aid understanding. Demonstrate business understanding: Develop in-depth knowledge of data associated with at least one line of business (LOB), and effectively support the data needs of that LOB; and Demonstrate commitment to lifelong learning. Exemplify good teamwork: Proactively communicate with customers and team members; Provide excellent customer service by making realistic commitments and keeping them; Work productively on assigned tasks; Collaborate effectively with other team members; Demonstrate accountability to management and customers for hours spent on assigned tasks; and Diligently strive to deliver value in the fewest possible hours.
Preferred Skills and Abilities
Work under the direction of reporting manager on the successful delivery of Business Intelligence projects, enhancements, and defects. Independently lead and deliver new projects and enhancements. Interface with Business and Business Analysts to understand functional requirements. Prepare estimates based on high-level requirements and assumptions. Translate functional requirements into technical specifications for ETL development; develop source-to-target mappings and actively manage Development, Unit Testing and Implementation efforts. Review design, code and migration objects for smooth project delivery. Troubleshoot production defects, perform root cause analysis and provide guidance to team on the fixes.
- Experience working in an Agile Environment.
- Team Foundation Server experience or any version control and scheduling tools like Autosys etc.
- Experience in DB administration is a plus.
- Strong experience in a BI/Data Warehouse environment with involvement in design, development, implementation, troubleshooting and support of ETL process using MS SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) or Informatica.
- Experience in developing Data Marts, Data warehousing or Operational Data Store (ODS) on MS SQL Server or DB2.
- Extensive knowledge of business intelligence best practices, processes, and methodologies.
- Excellent programming experience in writing Stored Procedures, Queries, Views, User Defined Functions, and Common Table Expressions using SQL or T-SQL.
- Experience in Performance Tuning and Query Optimization by indexing, partitioning, and denormalization.
- Highly committed, motivated, enthusiastic and a natural team player.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written) and ability to interact with and effectively address concerns.
- Excellent prioritization, time management, analytical, and organization skills.
- 2 years of experience in developing ETL and reporting applications using Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services or Informatica.
- Should have good understanding of DW/BI concepts and terminology.
- Experienced in facilitating in-person and remote meetings with business & IT resources.
Experienced in effective management of multiple competing and frequently changing assignments and priorities.
Physical Actions: *Essentially sedentary work consisting of occasional walking, standing, and lifting/carrying 10 lbs. maximum • Functional ability of seeing, hearing and speaking • Ability to type proficiently
*Physical Environment : Work in a climate-controlled office, with occasional travel by car or airplane.
Education Requirements : High school diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree preferred, in Information Systems or related field.
*Experience Requirements: * External Candidates: 2 years experience with data extraction, manipulation and presentation in usable format.
Special Skill Requirement
MS Excel: advanced proficiency (Pivot Tables, Pivot Charts, AutoFilter, and formulas).
- BI query tools: proficient in Cognos ReportNet, OBIEE Answers, BusinessObjects, STATISTICA (preferred), or similar systems.
- MS Access: proficient with loading data, writing queries, and manipulating data.
SQL: proficient with basic queries involving a few tables and limited criteria.
Farmers is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the strength of a diverse workforce.
Job: *Information Technology
Organization: *Farmers Insurance
Title: Business Intelligence / Data Warehouse Data Analyst I
Location: California-Woodland Hills
Requisition ID: 190008VT