Farmers Insurance Sr. Corporate Counsel - Employment in Woodland Hills, California
We are Farmers!
Join a team of diverse professionals at Farmers to acquire skills on the job and apply your learned knowledge to future roles at Farmers. Farmers Insurance also offers extensive training opportunities through the award winning University of Farmers named by Training magazine amongst top 10 corporate training units in the world. Start your career at Farmers today!
Coordinates and oversee in-house and outside counsel; monitors all legal matters within the assigned division pertaining to Farmers Group, Inc. and subsidiary and managed entities; monitors reporting procedures and requirements; and maintains the Corporate Legal case management system.
This position is on our Employment Legal Support team. Prior experience in employment law, in both a law firm and in-house setting, is strongly preferred.
Essential Job Functions
- Monitors all legal matters related to the Farmers Group of Companies within the assigned division.
- Provides regular reports regarding the status of cases to the assigned division head.
- Monitors compliance by the staff on report procedures and requirements.
- Provides advice, guidance, and strategy regarding corporate legal matters as assigned.
- Maintains and monitors computerized case management system.
- Researches and prepares legal memoranda and opinions on specialized questions of policy coverage and legal liability.
- Based on assigned Corporate Legal division, furnishes advice and opinions on the specialized legal aspects of: Labor and Agency; Property and Casualty; Corporate Secretarial, or Life company legal matters including corporate transactions and corporate secretarial matters, and makes appearances before various tribunals in respect thereto.
- Identifies and reports to the division head on areas and problems which are systemic and may give rise to exposure to the Companies.
- Conducts legal research and drafts points, authorities, and briefs.
- Manages specialized legal problems regarding subsidiary companies.
- Based on the assigned division: manages appeals of litigated cases (researches, prepares briefs, and argues at hearings on appeals); and assists trial attorneys on matters of procedure and substantive law including pleadings, discovery matters, and policy coverage questions; manages labor and agency matters; Life company matters; Commercial matters; regulatory or P&C matters.
Manages special assignments as required. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required job duties are essentially sedentary; however, the incumbent must be able to speak, hear normal conversation and read normal newsprint; have ability to lift and/or carry fifty pounds; climb normal stairs and step stools and reach to a height requiring complete extension of the torso, arms and legs.
Required job duties are normally performed in a climate-controlled office environment with some exposure to uncontrolled outside environmental conditions and travel via automobile and/or commercial transportation.
LLB or JD degree and membership in the California Bar, and completion of review or seminar courses in corporate law and associated fields; as well as meet all MCLE rules and regulations.
Six years as an attorney in the field of corporate law and/or litigation and related experience in areas of responsibility.
Special Skill Requirement
Basic computer knowledge.
Farmers is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the strength of a diverse workforce.
Job: *Legal & Compliance
Organization: *Farmers Insurance
Title: Sr. Corporate Counsel - Employment
Location: California-Woodland Hills
Requisition ID: 180009W5